Connectivity of decentralised networks
Your connection to TU's network!
To be able to operate a local network (institute network) at your institute, department or institution, you need a connection to TU's network. This connection is provided by HRZ. The network operation itself is handed over to the respective organizational unit, which is solely responsible for it.
Service features: What HRZ offers…
- connecting your local network to TU Darmstadt's core network (TU network) by means of necessary fiber optic or fiber optic connection (dark fiber), 1 Gbit/s
- setting up a transfer network with an individual firewall
- trouble shooting and support
- documentation of technical interfaces and concrete implementation
- a provision of up-to-date connection speed
- setting up an IPv4 network, and additionally, an IPv6 prefix, if required
Details on the range of functions offered can be found in the respective service description (in German).
Who can use this service? How do I apply for this service?
TU Darmstadt's organizational units can order this service. Planning and developing an institute network is carried out in close cooperation between HRZ, Department V and the respective institute. Within an initial conversation about planning on site, the procedure is discussed between the parties involved.
Establishing a new institute network connection usually takes place within 10 working days.
Via our web tool (which needs to be unlocked) administrators can enquire the number of currently existing connections as well as port history.
General conditions (organizational conditions)
In order to operate the service professionally, facilities and HRZ must work closely together. Technical contacts are required on both sides.
In order to regulate the interface between an institution and HRZ, the service description (in German) serves in conjunction with an agreement on the operation of the connection for the client's network to the core network of TU Darmstadt.
- Please find an example of an agreement on the operation of a client's connection to TU Darmstadt's core network: Agreement on network services (sample in German)
Connecting decentralized networks is free of charge.
The responsible department at HRZ is available as a service provider for consultation, troubleshooting and configuration. This concerns network devices operated within an institute and within the scope of its personnel resources. If this is the case, billing takes place at an hourly rate of 60 EUR.